Join our growing team!
You will have the opportunity to work in a collaborative and creative environment where your ideas matter. These are exciting times at Trakstar! We are seeking a Remote Senior Database Administrator to guide the next phase of growth with our company’s brands and product portfolio. The ideal candidate for this critical position will have a deep track record for managing a variety of product and test database workloads on AWS including MySQL and PostgreSQL. This position requires support for production including detection and diagnosing of database locks, performance bottlenecks, and high availability. This position reports to the Director, of Software Engineering and collaborates with senior leadership from the product and engineering departments.
What we do:
Trakstar is a best-in-class, unified human capital management solution that supports mid-market companies to attract, retain, and grow their employee workforce. With almost two decades of experience providing unique employee management solutions, Trakstar is an end-to-end platform solution offering seamless applicant tracking, training, and performance solutions. In this ever-changing and remote work environment, the demand for Trakstar is growing and we are looking for employees to help scale our existing organization. Our company mission is to uplevel employee performance from hire to retire because we believe people are happier and healthier when they know their work matters. We are serving 3700+ clients around the globe. At Trakstar, we hire only the best people – individuals who impress their prospects and clients with their industry knowledge of best practices and with insights into how Trakstar’s ever-expanding employee management tools can help their businesses grow and scale.
What you’ll do:
Your contributions will focus on our performance management SaaS products. This platform empowers thousands of daily users and transactions, providing important capabilities to companies for hiring, training, and engaging with employees. This is a great opportunity to join a growing company, be part of an excellent team, architect solutions to complex problems, and deliver valuable features to our growing customer base.
• Deploy and configure RDS instances of MySQL and PostgreSQL for the Trakstar applications, ensuing proper access, credential management, config param sets, multi-AZ setup, and failover/DR behavior
• Develop proposals and remediation guidance for performance issues
• Ensure proper monitoring and alerting are in place using AWS tools such as CloudWatch and Performance Insights to alert when databases are experiencing excessive load, locks, or other issues
• Respond to production emergencies with a steady, thoughtful, detail-focused mindset, providing transparency and frequent communication on the status of remediation
• Ensure proper backups and data retention / snapshots / encryption of data
• Perform index and statistics maintenance, but maintain awareness of potential production impacts, and communicate those impacts before execution
• Understand the schema and query utilization for the existing database and make data model recommendations for future features as required by the development team on topics such as normalization, query optimization, etc.
• Create and manage database maintenance scripts as required using technologies such as Python Lambdas
• Analyze and recommend performance improvement changes using tools such as Percona Monitoring and Management
- Possess a bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Emphasis on engineering, computer science, or information systems is preferred.
- Have a minimum of 7+ years experience working as a MySQL/PostgreSQL DBA, with at least 3 years in a senior role
- Have a minimum of 4+ years of experience working on the AWS platform, particularly with RDS
- Have experience with end-to-end product delivery in a SaaS software company
- Expert experience managing MySQL and PostgreSQL databases in high availability deployments on RDS, including instance sizing, IOPS configuration, etc.
- Understand AWS RDS encryption techniques using KMS, as an example
- Have configured and deployed multi-AZ AWS RDS clusters and have executed disaster recovery plans, restore from snapshot, and failover procedures
- Demonstrated experience working with the AWS platform and various database technologies such as RDS, Redis (Elasticache), NoSQL DB technologies (e.g., Dynamo), Redshift, OpenSearch (Elastic Search)
- Deep knowledge of MySQL and PostgreSQL versions, their upgrade paths, query language, and performance tools and practices
- Understand data warehousing and ETL processes and the impacts on operational databases
- Can prioritize and present database improvement plans with clear, user-friendly language
- Great communication skills
• Competitive salary based on experience
Trakstar is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, or sex